Too Short for Basketball? Thandeka Maluleka Proved Everyone Wrong
The former TUT Knights point guard reflects on faith, leadership, resilience and her dream of playing professionally overseas.
At 149cm (4ft10in), Maluleka has spent much of her basketball career proving doubters wrong. While many viewed her height as a disadvantage, she saw it as another challenge to overcome. Today, the point guard affectionately known as "Messi" is recognised not only for her achievements on the court but also for the resilience, faith and leadership that have defined her journey.
Originally from Stanger in KwaZulu-Natal, Maluleka's basketball story began in Grade 4. What started as childhood curiosity quickly grew into a passion that would influence every stage of her life. "I started playing basketball in Grade 4, and the curiosity of wanting to know how good I could be in this sport inspired me to keep going," she shared.
Her first introduction to the game came through Mr P. Naicker, a mathematics teacher at Ashram Primary School. As her love for basketball grew, so did her admiration for NBA superstar Kyrie Irving. His creativity and skill on the court inspired her to dream bigger and challenge herself to improve.
The journey, however, was far from easy. "Having people who always thought basketball is a sport for tall people was my biggest challenge," she said. "They would project their thoughts onto me, but I remained mentally strong and focused on my own journey."
That mindset would become one of her greatest strengths.
Years later, when she arrived in Pretoria to pursue her studies, basketball was not initially part of the plan. In fact, Maluleka began university as a soccer player, unaware that there was a women's basketball team on campus. Everything changed when she stumbled upon the basketball courts during a walk around campus. "I started going to the courts almost every day hoping to find the ladies' team training. One day I finally found them, asked the coach if I could join, and he gave me an opportunity."
It was a chance encounter that would shape the next four years of her life.
During her university years, Maluleka found herself in basketball while studying Sport Management Sciences. More importantly, she found a community, developed lifelong friendships and grew both as an athlete and as a person. "Being part of the team taught me a lot about life and basketball. I formed strong bonds with people I never thought I would and grew to love every day we had practice or games."
Among her most cherished memories is the match that earned her the nickname "Messi". In a tense relegation battle against the University of the Western Cape in 2023, her team secured a dramatic one-point victory to remain in Division A. "The emotions I felt during that game were unexplainable," she recalled. "I was even crying during the last quarter because I wanted to win so badly."
Another unforgettable moment came when her team reached the USSA semifinals for the first time and went on to secure a historic third-place finish.
Maluleka credits much of her development to TUT Knights head coach Welcome Mokoena, whom she regards as one of the best coaches she has ever worked with. "He trusted me enough to invest his time in me, both to sharpen my game and develop my character. I will forever be grateful for the opportunity to be coached by him."
Her experience at University Sports South Africa (USSA) tournaments proved to be one of the most important periods of growth in her career. "My rookie season showed me that I wasn't as great as I thought I was," she admitted. "It motivated me to go back to the drawing board and improve."
The lesson was humbling, but it became a turning point. Through discipline, hard work and a willingness to learn, Maluleka steadily elevated her game.
Her efforts were rewarded with several notable achievements, including being named an All-Star MVP, earning two USSA National call-ups, securing third-place finishes in both USSA 3x3 and USSA 5x5 competitions, and representing the Northern Cape Zebras in the 2024 Basketball National League. She has also represented KwaZulu-Natal and the Ilembe District in various competitions.
Yet despite the accolades and milestones, Maluleka says her greatest achievement has been discovering an identity that extends beyond basketball. That perspective would become especially important when she faced one of the most difficult moments of her life.
Earlier this year, financial challenges forced Maluleka to leave Pretoria and return home to KwaZulu-Natal, bringing an unexpected end to a chapter that had defined much of her young adulthood. "Leaving Pretoria was more than painful because I felt like I was leaving my whole life behind," she said. "But it was also exciting because I looked forward to applying the life lessons I had learned."
The transition was not as smooth as she expected. Letting go of a life she had built over several years proved difficult, but the support she received upon returning home reminded her of the power of community. "When I started getting out of the house and meeting new people, I received a whole lot of love and support from people I didn't even know. That proved to me that humanity still exists."
Today, while her dream of playing professionally remains alive, Maluleka has also discovered a passion for coaching. She works as a private basketball skills coach and coaches at Durban Primary School through the PeacePlayers Non-Profit Organisation.
For her, coaching is about more than developing basketball players. It is an opportunity to mentor young people and pass on lessons that extend far beyond the court. Looking ahead, she dreams of competing professionally in the EuroLeague and eventually establishing her own basketball academy.
Having experienced firsthand the challenges faced by women in the sport, Maluleka believes South African women's basketball still has significant room for growth. Limited exposure and a lack of opportunities remain barriers for many talented athletes.
"I would love to see more women fall in love with the game again. I would love to see women in professional leagues like BAL, and to see more support and exposure for women's basketball."
Through every challenge and triumph, her faith has remained the foundation of her journey. "My identity in Christ keeps me motivated, disciplined and consistent." She shares that 1 Timothy 4:12 teaches her how to carry herself in life and that helps her a lot because it keeps her grounded at all times as she chases her goals.
When asked how she hopes people will remember her one day, her answer is simple."My character on and off the court. My faith and my resilience."
Whether she eventually reaches the EuroLeague, builds her own academy or continues shaping young athletes from the sidelines, Maluleka's journey has never been defined by the obstacles in her path. It has been defined by how she responds to them.
And if her story has proven anything, it is that resilience can take a player much further than height ever could.


.jpeg)


Messi messi, nice stuff 🤏🤏🤏
ReplyDelete