All Eyes on Pretoria as PFL Africa Ignites the Cage

PFL Africa Returns to Pretoria with High-Stakes Matchups at SunBet Arena

The Professional Fighters League (PFL) is set to ignite Pretoria once again as its African season kicks off on 10 April 2026 at the SunBet Arena. With 22 fighters, 11 in the red corner and 11 in the blue corner, fans can expect a night packed with intensity, skill, and statements of intent as athletes from across the continent and beyond step into the cage.

This year’s lineup showcases a diverse mix of talent, featuring fighters such as Nkosi Ndebele, Justine Clark, Michele Clemente, Abdoulaye Kane, Shannon Van Tonder, Asiashu Tshitamba, Felista-Mutheu Mugo, Annet Kiiza, and Juliet Ukah. The event highlights the rapid growth of mixed martial arts across Africa, with fighters eager to prove themselves on one of the sport’s biggest stages.

Uganda’s Annet Kiiza is entering her bout with confidence, promising an electrifying performance. “I am going to put on a show. I am always ready for a fight,” she said. Speaking about her Kenyan opponent, Felista-Mutheu Mugo, Kiiza added: “She might want to finish the fight, but she can’t finish me. She is called the ‘Young Queen’, but I am ‘Queen Karma’.”

Mugo, however, remains unfazed. She emphasized the growth of MMA in Kenya and encouraged aspiring fighters to pursue the sport for its discipline and life lessons. “I am ready and I don’t care what she brings to the table because I am always prepared,” she said.

South Africa’s Shannon Van Tonder highlighted the dedication required to succeed in MMA. “As media, you wouldn’t really understand how much work goes into what we do,” he said. “I feel blessed to make a living from this, even though I’ve only been a professional for six years. The sport has had a positive impact on my life, I  don’t know where I would be without it.”

Justine Clark

Meanwhile, Justine Clark, who faces Senegal’s Abdoulaye Kane, reflected on the pressures of fighting at home. “I don’t have to acclimatise to altitude and I get to sleep in my own bed,” Clark said. “But fighting in front of a home crowd also brings pressure, you don’t want to be embarrassed in front of your people.”

Nigeria’s Juliet Ukah described competing in the PFL as an honour, noting the limited amateur structures in her home country. “We don’t have a strong amateur base in Nigeria. I was fortunate to go straight into the professional level, and experience in other sports helped me succeed,” she said.

Italy’s Michele Clemente is embracing the challenge of fighting on African soil, acknowledging both the opportunity and the atmosphere. “I am strictly a striker, but I’m ready for all phases of the fight, including grappling,” he said. “It’s great to be back and to have this opportunity, even with the crowd behind my opponent.”


A World-Class Stage in Pretoria

According to PFL Africa executive Elias Schulze, the choice of the SunBet Arena reflects the league’s commitment to delivering a premium experience. He highlighted the venue’s accessibility, surrounding amenities, and partnership with Sun International as key factors. 

The arena’s proximity to restaurants, shopping, and major landmarks, including the iconic Union Buildings, adds to its appeal as a host venue. “It’s about creating a world-class experience for fans,” Schulze noted, pointing to both convenience and atmosphere as central to the event’s success.

As fight night approaches, anticipation continues to build. With rising stars, experienced competitors, and national pride on the line, the PFL Africa season opener promises to deliver unforgettable moments. For Pretoria, the return of the Professional Fighters League is more than just a sporting event, it’s a celebration of African MMA’s growth and a glimpse into its future.

Comments